Follow your dreams

1994 - the year I first stepped foot into the Literary Institute donning bright pink shinny leggings, big smiles and bags of enthusiasm. The year I learnt my first routine to the Lion King (that I still remember today!). The year I fell in love.

At seven years old little did I know I'd be addicted to the drug that is dance. The highs, the lows, the tears the happiness - dance is my salvation.

I think it's fair to say that life has thrown up some terrible times for my family. From a young age, life has been turbulent and tragic in equal measures; and losing the one person in your life who has always been there cheering from the side lines screaming your name makes you realise that you're to go it alone.

"Who's going to get me ready for my competitions now?" "Who's going to be proud of me when I do well?" - The simplicity of an 11 year old brain; but retrospectively, still important questions.

My mothers determination and desire to 'be the best' has lived through me ever since she was taken some 16 years ago, and I think it's fair to say that her highly self-critical tendencies have also been passed down (even when I win, I still don't feel content)!

I can't thank my dance teacher enough for doing her utmost to keep me dancing - not for her, not for my mother but for me. Through all the bad times, it's been the only positive focus in my life that has saved me from darkness that is depression.

At the tender age of 11 I'd organise myself on those cold, quiet Sunday mornings with those magical butterflies fluttering through my stomach. I'd set my little battery powered camping alarm clock for the crack of dawn and tip-toe around my bedroom through fear of waking my deep-sleeping sister; all in name of readying myself for those nerve wracking competitions.

Even the sound of chopping my carrot batons feared me - "am I going to wake up the household?!" (And yes, I've seemingly always been health conscious)

Off I'd trot, backpack in tow but every week I'd always be missing something - my Mum.

She may not have been there physically but she was always there in my heart and mind.

As a child I missed opportunities and didn't quite fulfil those dreams I'd longed for. So much determination but so few chances.

To be honest, I thought this chapter of my life (though unfulfilled) came to a close when I started University. Little did I know I'd reignite the fire at the age of 22!

What started out as a 'one time only' event turned into another six years of amazing memories and moments.

I set myself the goals that I longed for as a child and by hook and by crook - I fulfilled them.

Lacking funds, no car (cycling from Bournemouth to Lymington each week!) and ill health (torn hamstrings and foot problems) all stood in my path at times, but I fought through them all.

My initial goals started from wanting to win a sash and a national competition. I also wanted to become an Intermediate in solos as I'd been a Starter since the age of eight (fellow dancers will understand), and I managed to get there at the age of 25! Seven sashes and seven national wins later and I feel almost ready to let it all go.

I guess through all my waffle what I am trying to convey through my story is that everything in life is set to test you - mentally and physically - but anything in life is possible.

Follow your dreams.


Comments

  1. "Chin up..Chin up..Everybody loves a happy face.
    Wear it, share it, it will brighten up the darkest place.
    Twinkle, sparkle, let a little sunshine in,
    you'll be on the right side, looking on the bright side,
    up with your...Chinny..Chin..Chin...!".
    From...(Charlott's Web)...! =(^..^)=

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sick of it.

Homeward Bound

For Christ(mas) Sake!